Saturday, March 24, 2012

So It Has Come to This: Business Park Bulgogi

I used to work in a building that boasted its own shitty cafeteria/diner on the ground floor.  The place started off awful and then, by the time I left that job, was remarkably OK.  One of the things they served "special" on Fridays was dumplings.  It was Dumpling Fridays.

At the time, I didn't know that business park cafeterias depended on this kind of predictability to keep the business of the business park denizens.  But now I know.

It was Friday and I did not want to eat the revolting Friday fish'n'chips from the cafeteria/diner in the building next door.  I wanted something else.  I was wondering if it would be bad form to drive to my old business park for Dumpling Friday. 

The classy grey Business Park Bulgogi Take Out Bag.
Then someone told me that the other cafeteria/diner in the other building next door had dumplings.  Off I went!

When I got there I discovered that it was California Roll Friday. Dumplings were on Tuesday:  Dumpling Tuesdays.  Wednesdays were Bim Bim Bap Wednesdays.  I don't know what Thursdays and Mondays are.  But I did find out that they have a "standing" special of Beef Bulgogi.  The lady behind me in line said it was good, and I figured it couldn't be much worse than the barely-edible fish'n'chips at that other place.

The bulgogi wasn't bad.  Apparently the proprietress makes her own marinade and it's a family secret.  Or it's from a bottle and she's trying to maintain an air of mystery and authenticity to have a one-up on the greasy spoon in the other building.  And unlike the other cafeteria/diner in the other building, this place had Sriracha sauce.  Sriracha:  The Miracle Condiment That Makes Everything Taste Awesome -- including Business Park Bulgogi. 

No comments:

Post a Comment