Sunday, February 5, 2012

Catching Up: A Week's Worth of Eating Out and Some Risotto

What a week! There was a deadline looming on Friday and, to make matters worse, everything we made for dinner -- Spousal Unit and I -- was complete crap. Well, everything except Wednesday night's pea risotto. That was pretty tasty. It was made with home-made chicken stock. I had it for lunch on Thursday.

Otherwise, I ate out for lunch every day this week. On Monday I had some kind of crap from the lunch counter in the office tower next door. On Tuesday, I had a bento box from a fake Japanese restaurant. On Wednesday I had The Most Amazing Sandwich Ever from a Greek-Italian panini-and-pita place. And then on Friday, I finished off the week with Chicken Curry Roti.

Tuesday: Bento Box From Fake Japanese Restaurant

A reasonable facsimile of Japanese food.
There are a zillion Japanese restaurants near my workplace. Most of them are either Korean restaurants with a Japanese component or Chinese restaurants with a Japanese component. The place we went to on Tuesday was a Korean place. It has bulgogi and bim bim bap as well as sushi, katsu and tempura. My dining partner and I had the same thing: a chicken katsu bento box lunch. It came with a mysteriously-filled gyoza, two deep fried pieces of tofu, some rice, and some random sushi rolls. I chose to substitute the random rolls for spicy tuna rolls. They were not spicy. They may have been tuna.

Wednesday: The Most Amazing Sandwich Ever

I ate everything. All that was left was the flyer.
The guy in the cube next to me didn't want to eat his rather tasty homemade lunch on Wednesday, so he offered to drive the both of us to his favourite sandwich shop. It's a tiny place in a shitty location that serves Greek and Italian food. The first time I went there I had chicken souvlaki on pita. It was good, but, you know, souvlaki is souvlaki. If you fuck up souvlaki-on-pita, you have problems. The guy in the cube next to me, though, always orders the veal cutlet sandwich. When he ordered it the last time, I was totally jealous. It was an awesome-looking sandwich. It had veal cutlets, tomato, peppers and cheese. This time, I also ordered the sandwich. It had two veal cutlets between a soft bun with spicy tomato sauce and cheese. It was The Best Sandwich Ever. It didn't have avocado spread or goat cheese or caramelized onions, but it was fucking tasty. Tasty. And it was super messy to eat. All the men in the lunch room stared at my sandwich with envy.

Thursday: Risotto

Pea risotto.  Edible.  Quasi-vegetarian.  Healthy.
Spousal Unit made pea risotto with Le Sieur peas and homemade chicken stock. It did not suck and it was probably healthy.


Friday: Chicken Curry Roti
Oh Chicken Curry Roti... You warm the cockles of my heart.
Mmmmmmmm....chicken curry roti. With scotch bonnet hot sauce. Mmmmmmmm..........

No comments:

Post a Comment