Friday, January 13, 2012

Breakfast, Lunch and The Redemption of Silvia

I am going to admit something:  I don't care how much everyone says that oatmeal is filling and full of protein and complete and whatnot, but it doesn't fill me up.  I'm, like, hungry about ten minutes after I've eaten a big bowl of the stuff.  So this morning, with my oatmeal and OJ, I had scrambled eggs.  Hopefully the oatmeal's cholesterol-busting abilities negated the cholesterol from the eggs.
OK, oatmeal, mop up that cholesterol!
But whatever.  I wasn't hungry until lunch, which was a good thing because the snack closet was totally bare.  I'm talking all-the-Ritz-crackers-are-finished bare.  I'm talking people walking in my boss's office mid-meeting to eat the chocolates on her desk.  BARE!

A guy brought in a whole apple pie and it was gone in less than 5 minutes.  By the time the people who weren't in the breakroom got the email announcing the pie, it was gone.
Morning brew, water, lunch, snack and afternoon espresso.
For lunch I had leftover fig, mascarpone, parmegianno, prosciutto and honey pizza that I obviously didn't make myself.  I mean, who the fuck keeps mascarpone in their fridge?  And would you buy mascarpone just to make a pizza?  No. Oh, if you don't know what mascarpone is, it's this cream-cheesy Italian cheese that is probably as fatty as butter.  No amount of oatmeal could have undone the cholesterol in that pizza.  

I finished the meal with some crackers I had brought from home (in the paper plate) and an espresso I made using Silvia and the cheap-o Aiello coffee I bought at the grocery store next to the office.  Anyways, I have determined that the problem really is the Black Cat coffee because the cheap-o coffee made a really good espresso.  I even made one for the guy who used to sit in the cube next to me.   Yeah.  Desktop Espresso looked kinda lonely today.

3 comments:

  1. I have some non-instant steel-cut oatmeal that I'm not very good at eating. Nevertheless, it does seem to be more filling than instant oatmeal. Hard to tell though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you say "not very good at eating" do you mean that you don't eat them often or because you have a hard time chewing them?

    I like steel-cut oats. They have a nice, chunky texture, are damned tasty and way more filling -- probably because they're incredibly hard to digest. The only problem I have with them is that they seem to go stale really, really fast and I end up throwing out 1/3 to 1/2 a pack each time I buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Said oats usually just stay inside my cupboard. Eating them works well enough once I actually prepare them (which takes a while). However, I'm not sure if I still have them while I'm not in Waterloo for 6 months.

    ReplyDelete