Tuesday, November 8, 2011

In which I finally eat something that isn't a grilled cheese.

I finally had something beside grilled cheese for breakfast.  I go through these phases where I'm like "I LOVE grilled cheese!"  or "I MUST have a hard boiled egg to get enough protein for my day!"  My grilled cheese phase is over and not just because I've run out of cheese, though that's pretty motivational.

Anyways, I made oatmeal.  Like real oatmeal, not the stuff in the packet where you add hot water and get a gooey, gummy mess.  There's plenty of that stuff in the office snack cupboard and the only people to eat it are the Gym Guys who believe it's actually equivalent to real oatmeal.

But I digress.


I made oatmeal.  I mixed large flake oats (for texture) with quick oats (for creaminess) and cooked them for about 10 minutes.  I added tonnes of salt and then smothered the whole thing in maple syrup for a sweet'n'salty breakfast.  I washed it all down with some apple juice because we ran out of OJ.

For lunch I has lentil soup with popovers.  Popovers!  They're really easy to make.  And they're really tasty and buttery and make an excellent vehicle for lentil soup, provided your lentil soup tastes of something.  It's actually tough to make lentil soup taste of anything except dirty water.  You have to add in tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and, if you're not opposed to eating animals, prosciutto or speck.  And it absolutely needs salt.  You can't go low salt with lentil soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment