Monday, November 28, 2011

Where the Fuck is Portneuf Anyways?

This morning I had an omelet with a side of La Sauvagine cheese on toast. 

La Sauvagine is made by Alexis-de-Portneuf.  This morning my Spousal Unit asked me, "Where the fuck is Portneuf, anyway?"  I had no idea.  But my guess is that it doesn't matter because Alexis-de-Portneuf is a subsidiary of Saputo, the Giant Cheese Machine.

Alexis-de-Portneuf also makes Brie de Portneuf. One time I was watching a pretentious cooking show where they were discussing artisanal cheeses.  The guest (because it was one of those cooking shows where there's a different guest each show prattling on about one thing or another) was going on about how sometimes cheeses look artisanal, but aren't.   As an example, he said, "If I buy a brie that says it's from Portneuf, I want it to be from Portneuf and not some industrial fromage."

And hence, it doesn't matter at all where Portneuf is as this cheese is made in some factory in Laval or Brampton.

No comments:

Post a Comment